Today we celebrate the life of Nelson Mandela, a legend, a leader and a human is his own league. As we reflect on his legacy, life, leadership and devotion to humanity and humanitarian causes, we want to encourage you to do what ever it takes to make the world a better place: Make everyday a Nelson Mandela Day
There are so many ways to make a difference. We always try to simplify things though so start by looking at what you are passionate about and the impact will follow. This could be anything from giving a little of your time to a cause or community that’s close to your heart or by making a difference in someones life. These simple acts of kindness can help to change the world around you.
“We can change the world and make it a better place. It is in your hands to make a difference.” – Nelson Mandela
Here are a few things you can do on a personal level to celebrate this day and to make a difference.
- Join the Mandela International Day Community Initiatives
- Volunteer your time at a Shelter
- Find your nearest fixed donor site and give blood
- You can offer to fix something at a local school or organisation that's less fortunate
- Teach someone how to use a computer and the internet
- Donate books to your local library or a school nearby
- Offer to attend a high school class to talk to students about your career
- Offer to mow the lawn or fix up the garden at a nursing home or for your elderly neighbor
- Be good to others, a smile might just brighten up someone day
You can also make a huge difference by supporting any of the below charitable events taking place on the 18th July 2019, the list provided by VISI – SA's Most Beautiful Magazine
Food Can Mosaic
- LEAP Science and Maths School, in partnership with Clearwater Mall, is aiming to build a food can mosaic of the Nelson Mandela Day logo, using 27 000 cans of Rhodes Quality food.
- When: 18 July 2019, from 12pm – 3pm
- Where: Clearwater Mall, Roodepoort
- For more information, visit leapschool.org.za.
Habitat For Humanity Build
- Help to build homes in the community of Palm Ridge. The aim is to complete 3 000 houses as part of the project.
- When: 15 – 19 July 2019
- Where: Palm Ridge, Katlehong
- For more information, visit habitat.org.za
SA Chefs Association Initiative
- The SA Chefs Association is teaming up with Nedan to feed 6 700 children in five feeding centres in Zola, Alexandra, Pimville and Kathlehong.
- When: 18 July 2019
- Where: Zola, Alexandra, Pimville and Kathlehong (Ntuthuko School in Twala and Khumalo Primary School in Ngema)
- For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 011 482 7250
- Join WWF South Africa, SASSI, Twyg, Two Oceans Aquarium and Smile 90.4FM presenter Kia Johnson on Twitter for a 67-minute chat sharing knowledge about going plastic free and discussing 6/7 plastics you can give up.
- When: 18 July, from 12pm – 1pm
- Where: On Twitter, using #PlasticFreeMzansi
Penreach Books in Homes Campaign
- Educational NGO Penreach is encouraging the purchase of 67 early literacy books for R200.
- When: Books must be purchased before 31 July 2019.
- For more information, visit penreach.co.za
FoodForwardSA Mandela Day Food Drive, in partnership with Pick n Pay
- Pick n Pay and FoodForwardSA are aiming to gather 500 tons of food for the underprivileged. You can buy product online or at selected Pick n Pay stores and it will be donated to communities in need.
- When: You can purchase food items until 14 July 2019. On 18 July, you can help with packing.
- Where: Packing will be taking place at venues in Cape Town, Bloemfontein, Joburg, Durban, Rustenberg and Port Elizabeth.
- For more information, visit pnp.co.za and webtickets.co.za
SPCA Mandela Day Kennel Building
- Help build a kennel for animals in need or donate R500 towards the building of a kennel.
- When: 18 July, from 9am – 5pm
- Where: Cape of Goodhope SPCA, corner of 1st Avenue and 1st Road, Grassy Park, Cape Town
- For more information, visit capespca.co.za
Operation Smile Teddy Bear Drive
- Operation Smile is hosting a Teddy Bear Drive, asking for donations of soft toys, which will be distributed to patients.
- When: 18 July 2019, 9am – 3pm
- Where: Operation Smile South Africa, The Waverley Business Park, Unit 17-103/4, 5 Wyecroft Road, Mowbray, Cape Town. Donations are welcome from across the country, to be delivered to the Cape Town Operation Smile office.
- For more information, call 021 447 3608
SAME Foundation School Painting
- The SAME Foundation will be painting the outside of both the Blair Atholl Primary School in Lanseria, Gauteng and the Zimasa Primary School in Langa, Cape Town.
- When: 18 July 2019, from 9:30am – 3pm
- Where: Blair Atholl Primary – Farm School, Lanseria, Gauteng and Zimasa Primary School, Langa, Cape Town
- For more information, visit samefoundation.org.za
Cover Books with Common Good
- Common Good will be covering 670 library books for school children. All materials will be provided.
- When: 18 July 2019, from 9am – 5pm
- Where: 21 Nelson Road, Observatory, Cape Town
Make sure to spread the #DoGood fever via your social media channels – This may help to encourage your own network to get involved and start making a difference. Use the hashtags:
#ActionAgainstPoverty #MandelaDay #MakeADifference #ShareTheGoodWithMemo