Banana bread… definitely an all-time classic and for most of us still on the list of favorite comfort foods. Do you remember waking up in the mornings with the whole house filled with that delicious smell of moms freshly baked banana bread? – Is your mouth watering as much as mine is right now????
Banana bread is magic and we wanted to share this delicious easy to prepare recipe with you today, it has all the hallmarks of classic banana bread—it’s fluffy, moist, infused with sweet banana flavor which both kids and grownups will love.
So what makes this banana bread healthy?
- For starters, its made with 100 percent whole wheat flour, unlike traditional banana bread recipes.
- It’s naturally sweetened with honey or maple syrup, which offer some trace nutrients that white sugar does not.
- Lastly, this recipe calls for a reasonable amount of good-for-you oil rather than whole sticks of butter. (choose coconut oil, olive oil or vegetable oil).
- This homemade banana bread has plenty of redeeming qualities, so it won’t send your blood sugar levels through the roof.
- Check out some more health benefits of banana bread here.
Prep Time: 10 mins – Cook Time: 55 mins – Total Time: 1 h 5 mins – Yields: 1 loaf (Scale 1x, 2x, 3x)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil or high-quality vegetable oil*
- ½ cup honey or maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas)
- ¼ cup milk of choice or water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (NOT baking powder; it’s not the same!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more to sprinkle on top
- 1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- Optional/Extras: ½ cup mix-ins like chopped walnuts or pecan nuts, chocolate chip, raisins or chopped dried fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mix(beat) the oil and honey together with a whisk. Add the eggs and mix well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk. (If your coconut oil solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, simply let the bowl rest in a warm place for a few minutes, like on top of your stove, or warm it for about 10 seconds in the microwave.)
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Lastly, switch to a big spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined. Some lumps are ok! If you’re adding any additional mix-ins, gently fold them in now.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon. If you’d like a pretty swirled effect, run the tip of a knife across the batter in a zig-zag pattern.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (typically, if no added mix-ins, the bread is done in about 55 minutes. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
- Serve and enjoy
A Few side notes
Are you following a special diet? With minor tweaks, you can turn this recipe vegan by going dairy free, egg free or gluten free. Check out the notes below.
- Vegan: Use maple syrup instead of honey, replace the eggs with flax eggs and choose non-dairy milk (we used almond milk) or just water.
- Dairy-free: Choose non-dairy milk (almond milk) or just water.
- Lower the fat: We could argue that this bread contains a healthy amount of fat, but you can replace the oil with applesauce if you’re following a low-fat diet.
- The bread is moist, so it will keep for just two or three days at room temperature. Store it in the refrigerator for five to seven days, or in the freezer for up to three months or so.
A final word before we go?
Please let us know if you made this recipe, what your combinations were and how it turned out in the end. Drop us a comment and share a picture on our Facebook or Instagram pages using the hashtags #memostories #healthybannabreadrecipe #getmemo
Source/Credit: Recipe by Cookie & Kate – Thanks